• The pipes should be flushed out with water instead of blown out with steam.
• The pipes must be blown through in order to clean out ...
• It was indicated that extensive investigations into ... would be highly profitable.
• One must think out each step of the method.
• The study of several advanced reactor concepts ...
. конструировать; при проектировании; создавать
• Such installations are invariably engineered (or designed) to specific requirements. ...
проектировать на плоскость
• To project an image of ... onto the plane of ...
• Projected area is that area bounded by the outline of the blades when projected into an athwartship plane.
• Work is the product of force by distance.
• Momentum is defined as the product of the mass into the velocity.
• This force is proportional to the product of the mass times ...
производительность в 12 раз выше
• At this speed 12 workpieces could be machined using a coated insert, so for this application coated inserts outproduced uncoated inserts 12 to one.
. выполнять; делать; осуществлять
• These operations were often carried on (or out) simultaneously.
• Drilling is done from barges.
• The ...
производить арифметическое действие
• Even though ∞ is not a number, we can put it through (certain) arithmetic operations (or paces).
• The computer can perform (or carry out) thousands or millions of ...
• Loading and unloading is performed by one operator.
• This type of chain has been in production for some time.
• Delivery of the material from the mill is by rail.
производиться в промышленных масштабах
• The acid is manufactured (or obtained, or produced) commercially.
• Such castings are in commercial production.
• Sodium hydroxide is made commercially by the electrolysis ...
. брать производную по
• The current gain is the derivative of the total current with respect to the minority carrier current.
. идти в производство; идти на производство
• Building (or Construction, or Production) of machinery ...
• Derrochrome is used in the ...
. задан произвольно
• The nonuniformity may be arbitrarily large.
• When the isotopic-spin arrow is rotated in an arbitrary way ...
• John Dalton's suggestion of assigning an arbitrary value of 1 for the lightest element, hydrogen ...
. вытекать из
• The error results (or arises, or stems) from neglecting ...
проистекать из того, что
• The interplanetary navigator's most difficult problems derive (or stem, or arise, or result) from the fact that ...
происходивший ... лет назад
. относящийся к
• Sediment cores reveal older epochs of polarity reversals dating back tens of millions of years.
• If a spark has enough energy, an explosion is set off (or occurs).
• Anaplastic cells are derived from adult, differentiated cells.
• This change comes about by virtue of the force acting on ...
• Such explosions ...
• The clavicle is a frequent site of fracture.
• This is the case in the region marked as .
происходить в результате
• Generally such failures stem (or arise, or result) from [or are caused (or brought about) by, or are due to] improper circuitry.
происходить за счёт
• As starvation continues, a progressively greater proportion of the weight loss is accounted for by the consumption of body fat.
. образовываться из
• The designation F-centre comes (or derives, or is derived) from the German word Farbe.
• Coal may originate from isolated fragments of ...
• The word infinity comes (or derives) from a Latin word meaning "endless".
происходить по типу
• The known catabolic transformations of corticosterone follow the pattern seen in the catabolism of ...
• The geologic processes at work (or operating) today can be best understood by ... .
• This is not the only process going on in the collision.
• Proton transfer should be ...
• Well-known species include the domestic pigeon descended from the rock dove.
происходящий под действием
• Water is brought to high elevations on land by atmospheric processes which are powered by solar energy.
. быть обязанным своим происхождением; в месте происхождения; вести своё происхождение от; ...
• They propose that the nucleic acids arose first before life had its origins.
• The severest part of the railway grade was negotiated with ease.
• Two repair shafts were sunk.
• This can be determined by plotting the distance traveled (or covered) against time.
. время истекло; проходить
• Several hours must elapse (or pass) before the circuit is completed.
• The British pneumatic control industry is less ...
• Failure at two interfaces is obvious, but a single weakness can pass undetected (or unnoticed).
пройти расстояние в
• It would take an ion about 30 min to travel 1 m in the direction of the applied voltage.
• After the neutrons have made the trip (or have passed) through the collimator ...
. проложен между
• The frame grid tubes forged (or paved) the way for high-performance, low-cost black-and-white TV.
• We know how to lay off a course or measure one which is on the chart.
• The drafting machine aids the navigator in plotting courses.
• Alternate plates of metal are stacked with the dielectric.
• A disk of heavy carbon paper is sandwiched between the pointed end of the stylus and the paper tape.
см. не бояться проколов
проливать новый свет на
• This work has provided fresh insight into ...
• Laser sheds new light (up)on molecular structure.
проливать свет на
• The Mossbauer effect can shed light (up)on this problem.
• Data from satellites have clarified the origin of the radiation belts.
• These studies have helped to elucidate ...
• A core layer is sandwiched between two layers which form the cladding.
• Sheets of metal foil are clamped between the mica sheets.
• The electrodes are sheets of metal foil stacked alternately with the mica sheets.
• This cartridge is formed by a pile of circular disks interleaved by thin washers.
. в интервале; на промежутке; с равными промежутками; через некоторые промежутки времени; через ...
. интервал между
• The time lapse between first-filled and last-filled castings is a few milliseconds.
промежуток между импульсами
• The amplitude of the pulses from the objects was uneven, but the interpulse spacing (or the spacing between pulses) was quite regular.
• Thermal conduction may bring energy directly from the coronal regions of the Sun to Earth's atmosphere, if coronal gases fill the intervening space.
. в промежуточный период; граничный
• HF is a borderline case ...
• Information is passed to the minicomputer via an interface device.
• The pulses move at a velocity intermediate between the sound speeds of the hot and the cold gas.
• The properties of metalloids are intermediate between those of metals and ...
• Red, green, and blue lights can be chosen to produce any of the various intermediate colours.
• The "quick setup aids" eliminate trial cuts and repeated gauging during setup.
• The pipes should be flushed out with water instead of being blown out with steam.
• If the cells are not properly rinsed, a film may be formed.
• The solid residue was ...
• Always disassemble the unit first for proper cleaning and rinsing.
• Carbon dioxide is removed from gas mixtures by washing with alkaline solutions.
. иметь промышленное значение; наибольшее промышленное значение
• Naturally occurring mullite has no commercial ...
. залежи промышленного значения
• There are minable cinnabar deposits in many regions around the world.
. имеющий промышленное значение
• This can be achieved by the use of commercial dye lasers equipped with ...
• A commercial process for beryllium ...
• The resulting wafers are penetrated by thousands of channels.
• When the explosives are detonated, the tube collapses and the field lines threading the tube are squeezed together.
• These caves collapse before we can gain access to them from the surface.
• The light penetrates into the cladding from the core.
• The large chromate ...
проникать в тайны
• We were equipped with appropriate instruments for probing the mysteries of superconductivity.
• When the heat front penetrates to the comet's interior, ...
• Cold ocean water penetrates deep into the crustal rock.
. не допускать проникновения; попадание; препятствовать попаданию
• The non-return valve prevents ingress of air to ...
. легко проницаемый
• Hot palladium is permeable to hydrogen.
• The membrane is about a million times more permeable to the chloride anion than to ...
• Keep a piece of waste saturated with oil handy.
• The fabric is impregnated with rubber.
• The emulsion must be completely removed from the fabric so that it can be uniformly penetrated (or impregnated) by solutions.
• Alumina spheres were soaked with nitrobenzene.
• When a mass of the dry clay becomes soaked with water it undergoes a large volume expansion.
• The liquid velocity near the wall is proportional to the distance from the wall surface.
. изменяться пропорционально; обратно пропорционально; прямо пропорционально
• This increases the rate of ...
пропорционально ... степени
• It is proportional to the fourth power of the wavelength of the radiation.
• The power loss increases as the third or fourth power of ...
• In quadruped animals the width ...
• The impact pressure, caused by ... varies with the square of the velocity.
• The cost of area meters tends to increase as the square of the pipe size.
• The resulting water is acidic and must be neutralized by passage through an anion-exchange resin containing OH-.
• A dew point of less than -70°C was obtained by passing ...
• Current measurement is achieved by passing the current through an accurate resistor and ...
. прозрачный для
• The filter passes the probe beam.
• Air is passed through a flow counter.
• The input signal is passed through a conventional rectifier.
• No light is transmitted (or passed) by the crossed polarizers.
пропускать ток через
• When the coil is energized, ...
• He ran a current through the mercury.
• constant current is passed through the specimen.
• Microwaves can be passed with very little loss along metal tubes.
• Water is passed through a bed of particles.
• A sterilizing solution may be run through the machine ...
• Air may leak in at the apparatus.
• The part to be tested is first immersed in a special penetrant which seeps into the finest cracks.
• The first possibility was that some solute might unexpectedly leak out of the cell when it shrank.
• Ammonium nitrate washes rapidly through soil and causes pollution of waterways.
• The water seeps (or percolates) through the ground.
• To prevent the drillpoint from breaking through, ...
проскакивать и задерживаться
• Pellets smaller than the gap will fall through it and those with diameters that are larger than the gap will be held back.
• Should the tap meet an obstruction, the clutch slips, eliminating tap breakage.
• To follow (or trace) the fate of the labelled elements, ...
• We have attempted to trace the history of continental movements.
• The new telescope could sample (or scan) 12 times more sky.
• On the average, cutting tools are idle about 70% of the time.
• It is necessary to know which machines are running and which are down and why.
• If a machine is ...
• The ligament sacks are hollow tubes which extend most of the length of the cavity of the trunk.
• The ventilation shaft extends to 200 ft below sea level.
• The resulting ...
• The San Andreas Fault extends (or goes out) to sea 150 km north of San Francisco.
• This sea reached eastward to Manitoba, ...
простираться до бесконечности
• The medium through which the wave propagates extends to infinity.
• The line stretches to infinity in both directions.
. легко; лишь
• The Vapour-Pressure Thermometer is merely a bulb connected to ...
• In this multiplier vacuum tubes are used merely (or simply) as switches.
• The two allotropes are directly convertible into each other by mere temperature change.
. иметь простую структуру
• We obtain the desired expression by straightforward integration.
• The adaptation of roof bolting to ripping faces has not ...
• Dies can be changed in as little as 5 min, and machine downtime is thus kept to a minimum.
. для простоты
• The ease of fabrication ...
. водное пространство
• During periods of low water, the flood plains were unvegetated expanses of gravel, sand, silt, and clay.
• Some of the ore spills to the bottom of the shaft.
см. в ... протекает ток
• This valve is known to be leaky.
см. вызывать бурный протест
. на одной линии с; направлен вдоль или против
• This hole is opposite another hole in the lifting plate.
• The brackets are welded ...
• In using the instrument one stands with the right shoulder facing into the wind.
USAGE: противник (теории и т.п.) (антон. защитник)
• The opponents (антон. Proponents) (of this theory) insisted that ...
• There are always two opposing tendencies or actions which counteract each other.
• Plate current variations cause the cathode potential to ...
• Motion on the transform fault is the opposite of that in the simple transcurrent fault (геол.).
• The substitution in this reaction is the opposite of (or is opposite ...
противоположен no знаку
• Twice the kinetic energy is equal but of opposite (or but opposite in) sign to the potential energy.
• The charged particles are drawn to the plate of opposite charge.
• The charged ions migrate from the sample solution to the oppositely charged electrodes.
• The two opposing (or oppositely directed) beams pass through each other.
• One pair of forces will excite the radial mode and the oppositely sensed pair will act in the ...
. в противоположность; прямая противоположность
• In this case fluorescence is the converse of absorption.
• This thesis is (quite) ...
противоположны друг другу
USAGE: противоположны() друг другу
• Two almost antithetical views ...
• These two processes are the reverse of each other.
• Two contrary processes ...
• Radiation and reception of radio waves are inverse (or reverse, or opposite) processes.
. в противоположном направлении; действовать в противоположные стороны; диаметрально ...
• If we mix two colloids of opposite sign, the particles of one will attract the particles of the other.
• An error voltage of the opposite sign is derived.
противоположный по знаку
• A constant voltage drop across the barrier which is equal in magnitude but opposite in sign to the height of the p = n barrier ...
• This is to be contrasted with the nonselective fragmentation of ...
• Reversibility data in one system may lead to conflicting (or erratic) conclusions. Various and discrepant (or contradictory) accounts have been preserved.
см. вступать в противоречие с; находиться в противоречии с
• This seems contrary to (or to contravene, or to contradict, or to run counter to) the basic principles of chemistry.
• All other feasible mechanisms are in conflict with ...
• The force of the constrained cylinder is opposed by the springs.
• Monel withstands (or resists) corrosion by ...
• The gas and liquid are passed countercurrent (to one another).
• If your balance sticks, wipe off all places where moving parts touch.
• This will be the progenitor of a whole family of supersonic transport engines.
• The plan had been to replace the valve at the next routine maintenance of the equipment.
. за один проход
• The container has an opening for the passage of the ore.
. пройденная траектория
• The platinum contact extends into the mercury reservoir through a glass seal.
• The cable runs from the transformers into each ...
проходить весь путь
• In a counterflow tower the air travels all the way from the bottom to the top.
• The trestles were put through tests.
• The rig has undergone (or has been subjected to) standard tests.
• The theory has been put to many experimental tests.
проходить к ... через
• From the magma chambers the molten rock finds its way to the surface through fractures.
• General relativity predicts that a light ray will be bent as it passes by a massive object.