• A ton can be considered as a unit of volume.
• Some scientists look (up)on matter as being concentrated energy.
• The photons can be thought of as a wave with ...
• The ...
рассматривать как будто бы он
• The small increases in pressure can be treated as if they obeyed the acoustic approximation.
• The motion of the piston may be thought of as divided into a number of moments.
• Since the confirmation of Einstein's General Theory of Relativity, physicists have taken a new view of gravitation.
. рассматривать; считаться
• An isolated hydrogen atom can be treated as a composite boson.
• This force can be considered as a spring force.
• The ...
• This is considered a convenient range.
• Infrared radiation is commonly thought of (or regarded, or considered) as "heat".
• Pollutants are seen as one small part of the ...
• Optical methods will be dealt with first.
. внимательное рассмотрение; из внимательного рассмотрения ... видно, что; ознакомление; при ...
• (We) consider (or Let us consider) such loops where ...
. выдерживать интервал; на близком расстоянии от; на значительном расстоянии от; на некоторое ...
• The photographer must estimate the distance to his object.
• Distant galaxies appear to be receding from us at a rate proportional to their distance.
• The spacing of (or between) various electronic levels ...
• The separation between neighbouring atomic structural units ...
расстояние между атомами
• The interatomic distance.
. расстояние между ионами; расстояние между молекулами; расстояние между ...
расстояние между ионами
USAGE: расстояние между ионами (атомами, ядрами, молекулами)
• The interionic (-atomic,nuclear>molecular)
расстояние между молекулами
• The molecular separation (or The intermolecular distance).
. расстояние между атомами; расстояние между ионами; ...
расстояние между центрами
• Flat belts may be used to transmit power between pulleys whose centre distance is as much as 30 ft.
• With diameters D1 and D2 of the pulleys and their centre distances ...
• His reasoning is as follows (он рассуждает следующим образом).
. аналогичные рассуждения приводят к выводу о том, что
• Simple physical reasoning provides the necessary insight.
• By a more ...
• The first superconductivity systems will be tailored for metropolitan areas where ...
• This power supply system is designed for steady loads.
• The instrument is ...
• The installation consists of 40 capacitors rated at 20,000 volts.
• Work out (or Calculate) the amount of angular momentum which the solar nebula must have had.
• Writing this book proved a tougher task than I had bargained for (or expected, or anticipated).
• Alkaloids are complex organic amines, so the chemist can count (or rely) on ...
• The foam segments are sized (or dimensioned) to pass through an 18-in. diameter manhole.
рассчитывать таким образом, чтобы
• The design must be such as to permit the casting to be ejected from the mould cavity.
• The trajectory was devised (so as) to bring the spacecraft closer to ...
см. в растворе; переходить в раствор
растворимый в воде
• One end of the molecule is hydrophilic (or water soluble, or soluble in water).
• Acetone is used as a solvent for cellulose ether.
. плохо растворяющийся
• Gold and silver dissolve in this solution.
• Acids that are dissolved in water are represented as ...
. нарастать; увеличиваться
• The energy in the laser cavity is first built up and then decays.
• The light wave grows in amplitude (амплитуда ...
• In early societies, covalent compounds for medicines, etc., were usually obtained from plant (or vegetative) or animal sources.
• On large holes single-point boring gives the best accuracy.
• The increasing load stretches the wire rope by several feet.
. с большой затратой энергии
• This device will provide more gain at higher frequencies with less power supply drain.
• Expenditure (or Consumption) ...
. отличаться; разделяться
• When stresses are exerted upon jointed rock, the rock comes apart rather readily along these planes.
• When the rolls were ...
расходиться во мнениях о том
• The geologists disagree on (or about) how these movements have taken place.
• There is (some) disagreement [or no concensus (of opinion)] among geologists on the question of ...
• The densities disagreed with those obtained from the shock velocity.
• This is at variance with current experience.
• This is inconsistent with the ...
. затрачивать энергию
• In the future, more companies will lay out money for automation.
• Routine maintenance is mainly limited to the replacement of expendable items, for example, the chart and recorder ink.
см. идти на расходы по; не останавливаться перед затратами; оправдывать расходы; покрывать ...
. разница между
• The main discrepancy between the predicted and experimental value is due to friction in the fluid.
• There is significant disparity (or ...
• The widest swings in annual precipitation from year to year occur in ...
резкие колебания температуры
• Adhesive joints in service may be subjected to a number of deteriorating influences such as weathering, temperature extremes (or wide fluctuations in temperature), or chemical ...
• The wood has been subjected to pronounced (or drastic, or dramatic, or abrupt, or sharp) humidity changes.
• The steep rise in the cost of coal ...
• A conventional ...
• The discovery that interferon is induced by double-strand RNA provided (major) breakthrough in the understanding of interferon induction by viruses.
• As changes gradually, must either change gradually, or not at all; abrupt jumps are forbidden.
• Permeability fluctuates drastically (or dramatically, or sharply).
• These loading conditions differ markedly (or sharply, or widely) from the test conditions.
• The heat ...
• These lines, especially a prominent yellow line, were found in the spectrum of ...
• The marked dependence of the structure on ...
• These copolymers have a less pronounced block structure.
• In this area very slight changes of temperature cause sharply ...
• The mass velocities change drastically through the column.
• The treatment of mental illness in the U.S. has changed profoundly in the past 30 years.
• The situation ...
. чётко обозначен
• The smallest details of the ridges and valleys are sharply outlined (or defined).
• The berm usually has a well-defined edge.
• These phenomena differ markedly (or sharply, or greatly, or drastically) from supersonic flow.
• The two types of engines differ widely in their combustion requirements.
резко отличаться от
• These larvae differ radically (or widely) in appearance their parents by having no wings.
• This behaviour contrasts with (or is distinctly different from) that of carbon ...
• The drug drastically reduced the digestive system's secretion of acid and pepsin.
• Maintaining a large inventory would cut deeply into profit.
• The number of hadrons emitted abruptly increased a hundred-fold.
• The pressure difference increases steeply (or sharply, or dramatically).
• Our atomic age has suggested some drastic (or dramatic) changes in fundamental thinking.
резкое различие между
• In relation to transport through polymers, the distinction between gases and liquids is by no means sharp.
• A severe (or drastic, or sharp) decrease in the silver content ...
. в результате; возникать в результате; давать лучшие показатели, чем; давать необходимый ...
см. срывать резьбу; тонкая резьба
. охарактеризовывать вкратце; подводить итоги
• The above results may be summed up as follows: ...
• We shall now summarize some of ...
• In summary, 1° alcohols are oxidized to ...
резюмируя, можно сказать, что
• In summary (or Summarizing, or Summing up, or To sum up, or To summarize), (we can say that) the paleomagnetic data vindicate all the details of the drift hypothesis.
. настоятельно рекомендовать
• The serious student of the subject is recommended (or advised) to read ...
• Suggested (or Recommended, or Advisable) starting concentration is 10 to 100 parts of ...
. настоятельно рекомендуется; полезно; целесообразно
• It is therefore best to apply the Debye equation to ...
• These ...
• It was decided to redesign (or revise the design of) the cooler fans.
• Only slight revision (or re-designing) of the system was needed.
• Modernization, Reconstruction, Renovation ...
. аварийный ремонт; капитальный ремонт
• These parts need frequent maintenance due to corrosion.
• Repairs to the leaking areas have been ...
• In case of a fan failure a maintenance crew (or gang) can be dispatched immediately.
. добывать рентабельно
• Only 1/10 of this amount can be mined on an economically successful (or profitable) basis (or mined economically).
• Development of this resource is not economically feasible at this time, but the ultimate potential is great.
• BaSO4 is used in X-ray studies (or examination) of the gastrointestinal tract.
• Some English cars are of a sprung type.
. устанавливать рессоры
• Independent springing of the front wheels to the frame ...
. для ... нет готовых рецептов
• The standard recipe for renormalization would not solve the problem.
речь идёт о
. если идёт речь о
• The case in point (or at hand, or in hand) is the core plate.
• When chemical reactions are dealt with the Δ notation means ...
• Here, ...
• At first these were suspected to be ... , but later it was proposed that ... ; to settle the question, a study was made.
• We know enough to tackle (or solve) some relevant ...
• One should always draw such diagrams when working (out) problems.
• A given problem is attacked by solving a differential equation ...
решать задачу на
• If the pilot is working a problem in fuel consumption, the figures will represent gallons of gasoline.
• To solve (or do) problems in multiplication, division and ...
. разрешать вопрос
• If an initial effort does not crack the problem (жарг.) ...
• We tackled (or solved) the problem by applying ...
• The laboratory ...
. играть решающую роль в; иметь решающее значение; исключительно важен
• Reliability is of crucial (or critical, or ...
• The pivotal (or decisive) role of the microprocessor in advanced system design today offers ...
. один из решающих факторов
• Here, the laser pulse energy would be the deciding (or governing) factor instead of peak power.
. семейство решений; строгое решение
• It has not proved feasible to obtain a solution of this equation.
• This grader is the economical answer ...
• The resolution of the issue will have to await further study of ...
• The method for handling (or tackling, or solving) a problem ...
• One solution of (or to) the problem was proposed by ...
• One of the first modes of attacking the ...
• Various solutions to the simple diffusion equation may be employed.
• It is hazardous (or risky) to offer any sweeping generalization.
• In these circumstances we risk (or run the risk of) losing ...
см. как показано на рисунке; на рисунке показан
родиной ... является
• About 80 species of clover are native to the United States.
• Collard is of Mediterranean origin.
• This group includes sugar, starches, and cellulose, along with many other related substances.
• Hydraulic jumps are akin to shock waves.
• This board is used in the ...
• Since pions and kaons are unstable, some of them decay as they proceed down the tube, usually giving rise to a muon and a neutrino.
• The discovery of superconductivity gave birth to hopes that this phenomenon might eventually be put to many practical uses.
• Planets may come into being when small planetesimals fall together.
• The electronic differential analyzer had its genesis during World War II.
• This technology is just ...
. важная роль; играть роль
• The function of the foaming agent is to cover the surface of ...
• The part played by (or The role of) this factor in the ...
• The spring washers have increased in importance with the trend towards smaller, more compact machinery.
. задерживать рост
• With () rise of (or in) temperature ...
• The choice of carrier frequency is governed by the ionization time.
• In doing this we are guided by efficiency considerations.
• The shortage of electronics technicians is acknowledged by key personnel in manufacturing.
USAGE: рулон плёнки (фото)
• 35-mm film in rolls giving 20 to 36 exposures ...
. вручную; с ручным управлением
• A hand-held remote control.
• A hand saw.
• The brake is released by a hand-operated (or manually operated) ...
• When an air pump works with a jerky motion (or runs in jerks), ...
• The originally loose sediments were made solid subsequent to deposition.
. нажимать на рычаг
. один из ряда; по ... в каждом ряду; серия; степенной ряд по; целый ряд
• The accelerator has an array of rectifiers and ...
• My own tests upon this point, covering years of time, ...
• In processes which involve successive (or a succession of) reactions the speed of the whole process is determined by ...
• wide array of (or A number of, or A variety of) possible combinations ...
• The storage silos are arranged two rows.
• The unit cells are placed alongside each other.
• The plants growing side by side were suddenly separated by several metres.
• Permanent shops will be located adjacent to No. 2 shaft.
• One of these units was to be placed alongside the first station.
с ... связан
• The A1 vibrations have associated with them an oscillating dipole that is directed along ...
с большей точностью, чем
• Astronomers cannot compute ... closer than a tenth of a degree.
• The factor is now known to greater accuracy than ...
с большим трудом
• As a result of waste disposal animals are sometimes hard put to find adequately oxygenated water.
с большим успехом
• Aluminium has been used to great advantage (or very successfully, or with great success) for sour crude oil storage tank roofs.
с большой осторожностью
• Great care should be exercised in handling all blueprints.
• These data must be used with () great (deal of) caution.
с большой скоростью
• As the tool rotates at high speed, ...
• The controller input is changing at a high rate.
с большой точностью
• These standards must be calibrated to a high accuracy.
• This instrument is designed to measure, to a high (degree of) accuracy, the parameters of ...
• With the advent (or introduction) of high-frequency heating, new techniques were developed in the field of ...
с внутренней стороны
• The bolt head should be fitted on the inside.
• Dissolved material is precipitated on the inside of the cavity.
с входной стороны
USAGE: с входной (антон. выходной) стороны
• On the upstream (антон. downstream) side of the final control elements ...
• The HOC1 will decompose with the release of oxygen.
• The HOC1 will decompose to liberate (or release) [or with the liberation (or release) of] oxygen.
• Sodamite reacts ...
с выделением тепла
• Thus the reactants are converted to LiF with the evolution (or release, or liberation) of heat.
• Several photographs should be taken at different exposures.
• An iron disk having a segment cut away on each side ...
с высоким содержанием
• High-iron (or Iron-rich) bauxite ...
• Glasses high in (or with a high content of) silicates ...
• Alloys rich in nickel ...
• Compounds high in bromine content are ...
с высокой степенью точности
• The centre frequency of the laser transition can be established with a high degree of accuracy (or precision).
• The atmosphere becomes increasingly ionized with elevation (or altitude).
• The wells produce oil from a depth of about 9000 ft.
• As years went by, such deposits would thicken.
• The percentage of photographic discoveries has steadily increased over the years.
с давних пор
• Corrosion caused by ... has been a longstanding problem.
• The modular components include a transducerized diaphragm ...
с двойной связью
USAGE: с двойной (одинарной) связью
• The doubly bonded oxygen should be closer to the central carbon atom than the singly bonded ones.
• Neodymium-doped glass (or Glass doped with neodymium).
с должным учётом
• It is convenient to grind ... after due allowance has been made for the working position of the tool.
• The best SNRs are obtained by using beam-forming optics, with proper ...
• The manned orbiting laboratory was made up of a spacecraft with a cylindrical section added for instruments and crew space.
• Normally, fluorocarbon resins are machined to tolerances of about ±0.005 in.
• The glass cones were ground to the proper tolerance after cooling.
с допуском на
• These components are machined to tolerances of 0.002 in. for size and concentricity.
с древних времён
• Crude extracts of various alkaloid-bearing plants have been used since antiquity.
с другой стороны
• Salt, on the other hand, presented a more complex problem.
• Alternatively (or On the other hand), a more open structure can be produced in which ...
с жёсткими допусками
• This complex component must be produced to close tolerances.
• To produce close-tolerance balls, ...